Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Spencer Wiggins at Porretta

The southern soul theme at this year's Porretta Soul Festival continues with the announcement that the legendary Goldwax artist Spencer Wiggins has been added to the bill. It's beginning to look impossible to resist going and I just hope that I can make it this year.

Fellow Woodie Soulboy praised my last entry on the death of Estelle Bennett of the Ronettes, but asked why I hadn't mentioned the death of Molly Bee. Same reason I didn't mention Blossom Dearie - she didn't really measure up.

Folk America continued on BBC4 with a look at Bob Dylan and the other folk revivalists of the 1960s. A thoroughly entertaining programme and a fascinating insight into how traditional folk in the style of Pete Seeger and Joan Baez gradually turned into folk rock, with the Byrds and others.

3 Comments:

At 9:39 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see you were on the ball with Estelle Bennett. But what about Molly Bee?
Regards
Johnny Soulboy
The only thing that turns me on, is when I hear a soulful song. I like soul with a capitol S. Tower of Pow

 
At 10:34 pm , Blogger Unknown said...

So I just was turned on to Spencer Wiggins and was researching him and came across this. What is Porretta? A festival? And if so WHERE? I love "Soul City USA"

 
At 10:23 pm , Blogger Nick said...

Porretta is a great annual festival of 60s soul music in a picturesque spa town in the mountains south of Bologna in Italy.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home