Friday, May 26, 2006

Desmond Dekker dies

Another day, another death - this time reggae pioneer Desmond Dekker who, more than anyone else, helped to popularise ska, rock steady and reggae in the UK. A long time British resident, Desmond's hits included the wonderful 007 (Shanty town), The Israelites, It mek and You can get it if you really want. A dynamic performer, Desmond will be sadly missed. But at last I've now found out what he says in the first line of The Israelites. It's not 'Wake up in the morning, same thing for breakfast' as I foolishly imagined, but 'Wake up in the morning, slavin' for bread sir.' So now you know.

2 Comments:

At 3:06 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

 
At 4:33 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, i just came upon your site. I used to go to school at Justin Hall(St Davids College). I was too young to go see the Herd but remember well the posters outside the school promoting the event. Ah such great memories! Fronm Nick Green Alive and kicking in CanadaAugust 2008

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home