Sunday, March 19, 2006

Isaac's hypocrisy

So Isaac Hayes has stormed out of South Park because they dared to take the piss out of his cult of choice Scientology. It was all right when the programme had a go at Catholics, Jews, Muslims etc but when they turned their fire on Ron L Hubbard's nutty religion it was another matter. I know little about Scientology (nor do I want to) but from what I do know it appears to be a vicious cult which breaks up families and targets those who dare to oppose the beliefs of Ron L Hubbard, as well as holding some bizarre and frankly crackpot beliefs about aliens. It clearly has the ability to snare rich but thick superstars, because present or past members include Kirstie Alley, Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Chaka Khan, Lisa Marie and Priscilla Presley, Patrick Swayze and Van Morrisson. As for Isaac, I greatly admire the songs he wrote for Stax Records with David Porter and loved Shaft. But most of his records have been turgid and tuneless. I've seen him live (in Porretta) and whilst I had a certain admiration for the image he portrays as a sort of noble black warrior, I'm afraid I found the music really pretty dire. There I've said it now. Hope the Scientologists don't get me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home