Friday, March 13, 2009

Hank Lochlin/Jimmy Boyd

Hank Lochlin has died aged 90. His Please Help Me I'm Falling was a moderate sized UK hit in 1960 - one of fairly few country and western records to make the UK charts back then - and actually reached number one in my personal top ten at the time. He didn't make much of interest after that - although I seem to remember Saturday Night I'm Going Fishin' for Fish wasn't bad.
Also deceased is Jimmy Boyd, who made his name in 1953 at the age of 12 with I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus. Not sure if he ever had another hit, but at least his one claim to fame was a classic which is wheeled out every Christmas.

2 Comments:

At 12:12 pm , Blogger Dave C said...

I will always associate ‘I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus’ with the Ronettes and Phil Spector’s Christmas album. I also had the great pleasure of witnessing Ronnie Spector performing it at Dingwalls in the ’90s, after she had slipped off stage to return in fetching Santa dress. It’s a memory that will remain with me forever.

 
At 9:56 pm , Blogger Nick said...

Yes, like so many Christmas songs the originals don't hold a candle to the Phil Spector versions. I saw Ronnie at the Town and Country 2, as it was then, and she was brilliant, as indeed she was at the Ponderosa Stomp last year. Phil is half way through his retrial by the way. Apparently his own defence lawyer described him as 'a gun-obsessed boor with a mouth filthier than a truck stop restroom and mood swings as sharp and scary as a dagger.' Apart from that he's a really nice guy...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home