Saturday, January 12, 2013

Ones that got away...

Back in the 1960s, in my journalism days with the Croydon Advertiser, I wrote a regular record column. All the record companies of the day would send me new singles for review, but the company which was the most reliable was Polydor, which issued Atlantic and Stax at the time. I was enthusiastic about these and about some of the 45s from US record companies which were released on the Polydor label. But I was dismissive of many of the UK-produced Polydor singles and for one reason or another did not hang on to them. What a fool I was. I found a list of the Polydor singles that I received today and there are quite a few which are highly collectable today. Here are just a very few of the ones that got away:
Peep Show - Your servant Stephen - £90;
Ben Brown - Ask the Lonely - £50;
Mickey Finn - I Do Love You - £100;
Waygood Ellis - I Like What I'm Tryin' To Do - £50;
Hector Rivera - At The Party - £60;
Stu Brown - Since I Found You Baby - £300;
Oliver Norman - Down In The basement - £60;
Nightriders It's Only the Dog - £60;
Longboatmen - Take Her Any Time - £500;
Shyster - Tick Tock - £220;
Soft Machine - Love Makes Sweet Music - £175;
Fleur De Lys - I Can See The Light - £80;
Inspirations - Touch Me Hold Me Kiss me - £200;
Vic Richards - Jonathan Whatsit - £70.
Good luck if you own any of these. Chances are they were once mine.
Of course, I did keep some of the Polydor 45s that I received. Here are some of them.

3 Comments:

At 9:41 pm , Blogger Annet Marie said...

Cool blog :)

 
At 4:40 am , Blogger john marriott said...

No you did right with most of these Nick. The Inspirations is a US soul record though - very very sort after on UK. Manships just sold one for a lot more than that.

 
At 6:33 pm , Blogger Nick said...

Yes, I regret that Inspirations 45 disappearing. I kept it for several years but it eventually went missing: no idea when or where.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home