Monday, March 04, 2013

Porretta festival looking good

The line up for this year's Porretta Soul Festival has been announced and it's an interesting one, with less of a Stax focus and more of a southern soul feel to it.
One of the bigger names is Mitty Collier (pictured right), whose 1964 single on Chess, I Had A Talk With My Man, was a classic. She is appearing with gospel singer Calvin Bridges so it's possible that she will stick to gospel, but we will see.
In marked contrast, Bobby Rush will be appearing with his full revue, including dancers. I remember first seeing Bobby at the New Daisy Theatre in Beale Street, Memphis, and his rather rude show was extremely popular with the mainly black audience. It didn't go down so well when he performed to a white middle class audience in London a few years later. I think Porretta will enjoy him though.
One of the biggest attractions for me is Latimore (left), who will be bringing his southern soul style to Porretta. I've seen him several times over the years and he is always excellent, so I'm definitely looking forward to that one.
Hi recording artist David Hudson is back again after his popular show last year. I wonder if he will sing for free in the Irish bar again.
Another act making a return visit is the wonderful Toni Green, whose glamorous gowns always make a big impression. And another female act - new to me - is Falisa Janaye (right), a sexy looking southern soul singer who has some steamy videos on Youtube.
Another act I'm looking forward to seeing is Charles Walker and the Dynamites, who will bring some uptempo funk to the proceedings. Also on the show is Paul Brown and his All Star Band 'Heart and Soul' who I imagine will be backing many of the acts.
Once again Graziano seems to have got a great set of performers together for this annual tribute to American soul high in the hills of central Italy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home