Monday, February 16, 2015

I'll cry if I want to

It's a sad farewell to Lesley Gore, who has died aged just 68. In 1963, at the age of 16, Lesley had a massive hit with It's My Party, produced by Quincy Jones, one of the most played songs of all time. But now the party's over. Her teenage angst hit a nerve with the public and she followed it up with a continuation of the party saga with Judy's Turn To Cry and She's A Fool, before bringing out what was later to be considered a feminist anthem with You Don't Own Me. Other hits in the mid sixties included That's The Way Boys Are, the excellent Maybe I Know and Sunshine Lollipops and Rainbows, the latter written by Marvin Hamlisch. She appeared in the Batman TV show a couple of times as Pussycat, one of Cat Woman's minions, but faded from the pop scene, before reappearing as the writer of songs for the 1980 film Fame - she received an Academy Award nomination for Out Here On My Own. She performed in the eighties and nineties and recorded an album called Ever Since in 2005. A sad loss.     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PXIui8sa2U

Another recent death is that of Joe B Mauldin (pictured centre), bass player with Buddy Holly and the Crickets and, for another 50 years, as a member of the Crickets, as well as being a recording engineer at Gold Star Records.

1 Comments:

At 10:07 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

She was a relatively minor presence in the UK chart, but not in my personal one in the mid 60s... she had three number ones (It's my party, Maybe I know and You don't own me') and several other songs that performed well from 1963-7. RIP, Dan x

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home