Sunday, January 14, 2024

Jo-El Sonnier and Bill Hayes RIP

I was rather shocked to hear of the death of Cajun singer/songwriter and accordionist Jo-El Sonnier at the age of 77 as it's only a few months since I saw him at the New Orleans Jazzfest, when he seemed in top form. Born in Rayne, Louisiana, he first recorded for the Lake Charles based Goldband label in 1967. Three albums were released at the time - 'Hurricane Andy', 'The Scene Today in Cajun Music' and 'The Cajun Valentino'. He recorded many tracks in the Cajun and country fields between 1980 and 2005 and had chart success with songs such as 'No More One More Time', 'Tear Stained Letter' and 'Rainin' In My Heart'. His final album was the Cajun French album 'The Legacy' in 2013 which earned him his fifth Grammy nomination. I first saw Jo-El at Jazzfest in 2013 when he guested with Michel Doucet, leader of the Cajun band Beausoleil (pictured below). When I saw him last year I wrote: 'Final act was the rocking Cajun accordion player Jo-El Sonnier. This was high quality and at times exciting stuff with songs including 'Knock Knock Knock', Fats Domino's 'You Hurt Me So', 'Tear Stained Letter', 'Raining In My Heart', 'Jole Blon', 'Louisiana 1927' and Cleveland Crochet's 'Sugar Bee'. A good way to close the day.' Top photo shows Jo-El at Jazzfest in May of 2023.
Another less surprising death was that of Bill Hayes at the age of 98. When I was at primary school I knew all the verses of his biggest hit 'The Ballad of Davy Crockett'. His version of the song, originally sung by Fess Parker, who played Crockett in the film 'Davy Crockett - King Of the Wild Frontier', was a major hit, outselling Fess's version and one by Tennessee Ernie Ford. Everyone my age knew that Davy was 'born on a mountain top in Tennessee', so when I visited the Davy Crockett State Park in 2019 I was disappointed that there wasn't a mountain anywhere in sight. Bill's hit sold over two million copies but he failed to replicate his chart success although 'The Legend of Wyatt Earp' did quite well. But he was successful as an actor, including a long running role in 'Days Of Our Lives'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home