Monday, April 08, 2024

Farewell to the Frogman

It's very sad news that Clarence 'Frogman' Henry has died aged 87. Clarence was a regular in Bourbon Street and at New Orleans Jazzfest - indeed I saw him perform at last year's festival and he appeared to be having the time of his life. I wrote at the time: 'Next was a real highlight, Clarence 'Frogman' Henry, in a wheelchair and lacking quite a few teeth but still in fine voice and clearly enjoying himself. He was note perfect on 'But I Do' and 'You Always Hurt The One You Love' and showed he can still 'sing like a girl and sing like a frog' on 'Ain't Got No Home'.' He was often seated as he suffered back problems but always put on a marvellously entertaining show. His first hit 'Ain't Got No Home', way back in 1956, showed off his vocal range and his croak earned him his 'Frogman' name, but his biggest successes, especially in the UK, came in 1961 with 'But I Do' and 'You Always Hurt The One You Love'. I know that several Woodies experienced his hospitality when they visited his home in Algiers but I missed out on that particular New Orleans trip. But I did see him when he toured the UK in the early sixties with Bobby Vee and Tony Orlando. I saw him perform at Jazzfest on countless occasions and at the Ponderosa Stomp and he was without exception a joy to behold. I am reminded by Tony Burke that he also did a summer season at Scarborough in 1983 with Cannon and Ball! He was the epitome of good time New Orleans R and B - not subtle perhaps but highly enjoyable. I for one will miss him as in many ways he summed up just what it is that makes New Orleans such a great place to visit. The top picture shows Clarence with me at Jazzfest in 1989. The photo below shows him at Jazzfest in 2023. Bottom photo shows three of his albums: the 'Legendary' LP was recorded in Stockport in 1983. RIP the one and only 'Frogman'.

1 Comments:

At 10:19 pm , Anonymous Tony Papard said...

So sorry to learn of Clarence 'Frogman' Henry's death, though at 87 it is perhaps no real surprise. He's had a wheelchair or walking aids for years. I aaw him twice at New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festivals in 1997 and 1998, and also at Weekenders in UK. A lovely man.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home