Monday, June 18, 2007

Boot sale buys


As ever I've been frequenting car boot sales in search of records. It's not easy these days but I've found quite a few of interest. I sell what I can if I don't want to keep them (Beatles LPs for example and a prog LP by Michael Gibbs currently) and keep what I like. Recent bargains have included early Capitol 45s by Tommy Sands and Faron Young, some ska and rocksteady singles including one by Prince Buster on Stateside, an EP by Doris Troy on Atlantic, a couple of London demos, an obscure 45 by a girl group from Madagascar called Les Surfs and an LP by Lee Dresser. He is a new name to me, and the album is rather middle of the road, but apparently he recorded some rockabilly with the Krazy Kats at one time and I would be interested in finding out more if anyone knows anything about them.

Meanwhile I've been visiting charity shops and the continuing sale at Reckless Records in Berwick Street, which now appears to have been reborn as Revival Records. There are few new bargains to be found there, but I can't complain. I've bought quite a few excellent LPs at half price, plus some 45s by the likes of the Chantels, the Count Victors (great 60s garage), the Rip Chords, Tony Bellus and an EP by Charlie Gracie on Parlophone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home