Friday, October 19, 2012

Number eights

I've started so I'll finish: it's on to the records that made it as high as number eight in my personal top ten as recorded at the time between 1960 and 1965. Another mixed bag with quite a few classics included this time.
1960: California Here I Come - Freddie Cannon; Feel So Fine - Johnny Preston; A Woman A Lover A Friend - Jackie Wilson; Charming Billy - Johnny Preston; Sway - Bobby Rydell.
1961: Muskrat Ramble - Freddie Cannon; Sweet Elizabeth - Acker Bilk; Shu-rah - Fats Domino; Some Kind Of Wonderful - Drifters; Halfway To Paradise - Billy Fury; Come Along - Maurice Williams & the Zodiacs (pictured right); Ring Of Fire - Johnny Cash; Ain't It Baby - Miracles; Merry Go Round - Marv Johnson; More Money For You And Me - Four Preps; It Wouldn't Happen With Me - Jerry Lee Lewis; Nag - Halos; Theme From Silver City - Ventures; For Me And My Gal - Freddie Cannon; Jeannie Jeannie Jeannie - Eddie Cochran; My Heart Belongs To Only You - Jackie Wilson; What A Crazy World - Joe Brown; Please Mr Postman - Marvelettes; Peppermint Twist - Joey Dee & Starliters; Rock A Hula Baby - Elvis Presley.
1962: Unchain My Heart - Ray Charles; A Little Too Much - Clarence Frogman Henry; Dreamy Eyes - Johnny Tillotson; She's Got You - Patsy Cline; What's So Good About Goodbye - Miracles; Hide Nor Hair - Ray Charles; Run Romance Run - Bruce Channel; Mashed Potato Time - Dee Dee Sharpe; Dr Feelgood - Dr Feelgood; You Know Me Much Too Well - Ray Peterson; When I Get Through With You - Patsy Cline; Speedy Gonzales - Pat Boone; Gravy - Dee Dee Sharpe; The Wrong Girl - Showmen; Mary's Little Lamb - James Darren; Ballad Of Paladin - Duane Eddy; Every Night - Paul Anka; It Started All Over Again - Brenda Lee; You Don't Know Me - Ray Charles; Send Me The Pillow - Johnny Tillotson; Green Onions - Booker T & The MGs; Sherry - 4 Seasons; Popeye - Chubby Checker; Did You Ever See A Dream Walking - Fats Domino; The Guitar Man - Duane Eddy; Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee; Ride - Dee Dee Sharpe; Only Love Can Break A Heart - Gene Pitney; Your Cheating Heart - Ray Charles.
1963: That's What Love Will Do - Joe Brown; Brown Eyed Handsome Man - Buddy Holly; End Of The World - Skeeter Davis; Remember Me - Johnny Burnette; How Can I Forget - Ben E King; Killer Joe - Rocky Fellers; Road Runner - Count Victors (pictured left); Blue On Blue - Bobby Vinton; Rock Me In The Cradle Of Love - Dee Dee Sharpe; Fingertips - Little Stevie Wonder; Twist It Up - Chubby Checker; Nobody But Me - Isley Brothers; Susie Baby - Bobby Comstock; Memphis Tennessee - Chuck Berry; Busted - Ray Charles; Talk To Me - Sunny & The Sunglows.
1964: Need To Belong - Jerry Butler; New Orleans - Gary (US) Bonds; Dawn (Go Away) - 4 Seasons; I'm So Proud - Impressions; The Way You Do The Things You Do - Temptations; Hurt By Love - Inez Foxx; Hi-Diddle Diddle - Inez Foxx; Soulful Dress - Sugar Pie DeSanto; Selfish One - Jackie Ross (pictured right); My Babe - Little Walter; Always Something There To Remind Me - Lou Johnson; Do I Love You - Ronettes.
1965: Share Your Love With Me - Bobby Bland; Ain't It The Truth - Mary Wells; Keep Searching - Del Shannon; Give Him A Great Big Kiss - Shangri-Las; Jerk And Twine - Jackie Ross; Do You Wanna Dance - Beach Boys; It's Gonna Be All Right - Maxine Brown; Let's Stick Together - Wilbert Harrison; The Entertainer - Tony Clarke; From All Over The World - Jan & Dean; Pride And Joy - Marvin Gaye; It's An Easy Question - Elvis Presley; Since I Lost My Baby - Temptations; We Didn't Ask To Be Brought Here - Bobby Darin; My Baby - Temptations; Ain't That Peculiar - Marvin Gaye.

2 Comments:

At 7:44 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

really enjoyed your series so far; I think you've been a little unfair with comments on some of your earlier choices - most of the ones you've looked back in anger on are perfectly acceptable to me!
Noticed how you've gone very much into RnB through the years; I guess that many of your contemporaries like John Brovan and Dave Williams would have had similar lists, had they documented them at the time. Very enjoyable mate!
John S

 
At 7:55 pm , Blogger Nick said...

Thanks John. Yes, most of them stand up well, despite a few crap records in the earlier years. I've got most of the records in some form or another, but there are some I have to double check to see if I've got the right title or artist, and quite a few that I would pay good money for if I every saw them for sale. Next time it will be number nines, and then number tens, featuring the only Beatles record ever to make it into my top ten.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home