Monday, August 29, 2016

Top 20 tunes of 1962

I came across a list of my 20 favourite records of 1962 today. It was compiled in May, 1964, so sufficiently after the event for mature consideration, but still quite contemporary. Interesting that the top four records were all from New Orleans. I'm not even sure that I realised that at the time. Also some early indications of Motown and Stax, as well as my all time favourite singer Sam Cooke and some girl group 45s. Here's the list:
1. Lipstick Traces - Benny Spellman.
2. I Know - Barbara George.
3.Do Re Mi - Lee Dorsey.
4. It Will Stand - The Showmen.
5. What's So Good About Goodbye - The Miracles.
6. Green Onions - Booker T and the MGs.
7. Nothing Can Change This Love - Sam Cooke.
8. Palisades Park - Freddy Cannon.
9. Soldier Boy - The Shirelles.
10. Dr Feelgood - Dr Feelgood (Piano Red).
11. He's A Rebel - The Crystals.
12. Down In The Valley - Solomon Burke.
13. Havin' A Party - Sam Cooke.
14. Do You Love me  - The Contours.
15. Working For The Man- Roy Orbison.
16. Little Bitty Pretty One - Clyde McPhatter.
17. Baby It's You - The Shirelles.
18. Bring It On Home To Me - Sam Cooke.
19. When My Little Girl Is Smiling - The Drifters.
20. He Got What he Wanted - Little Richard.
I don't think my tastes have changed much over the last 52 years. Any other similar historic lists out there?
Here's Benny Spellman in New Orleans in 1993 - the only time I saw him perform. He died in 2011.
And here is Barbara George on the Creole Queen riverboat in New Orleans in 1991.


1 Comments:

At 7:27 pm , Anonymous John S said...

Stellar list there, Nick!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home