Monday, December 23, 2019

Picture review of the year 2019

It's been another good year music-wise and I am featuring here photos of just a few of the very many acts I've had the pleasure of seeing during 2019. I've made three trips to the US, one to Spain and one to Italy, as well as gigs in London and elsewhere in the UK. I've had the pleasure of the company of Dave Carroll. Alan Lloyd. Lee Wilkinson, John Howard. Noah Shaffer and others on these trips. So all in all it's been a vintage year, despite the declining number of original artists still performing. Let's hope 2020 is even half as good.
Ronnie Spector started the year off with a show in London in January. It's become a an annual visit for her - she's been in the UK in the last few days - and long may it last.
In February I went to Torremolinos in Spain for the Rockin' Race, where the acts included the Paladins (pictured), the Blasters, Johnny Knight, Deke Dickerson and Dale Watson among others.
In March I went to see Geno Washington, still doing his thing, in Fleet, Hampshire.
The same month I saw Ural Thomas and the Pain at the 100 Club in London.
April saw the visit of the great Bobby Rush to the UK. Here he is with Mizz Lowe at the Jazz Cafe.
My first US visit of the year began with a trip with John to Viva Las Vegas, where the acts included rockabilly artist Ray Campi, singer Kim Lenz and piano player Linda Gail Lewis with daughter Annie Marie.
John and I moved on to Los Angeles where we caught some great blues at Bell's Blues Workshop and the Pure Pleasure Lounge and also saw Hank Carbo. brother of Chuck and Chick Carbo, at La Lousianne.
In June Dave and I made the annual trip to Blackpool for the 4th annual International Soul Festival, where those appearing were Eddie Holman (pictured), Randy Brown, Brenda Holloway, H B Barnum and Ronnie McNeir.
We rushed back from Blackpool to catch the Tales From The Woods show at the 100 Club with the Raging Cajun, Doug Kershaw, plus Graham Fenton.
A few days later I went with John to the Hammersmith Apollo to see the Stray Cats.
In July I made my annual trip to Porretta for the excellent Soul Festival, along with Dave, Alan and Rod Jolliffe. Among many great acts were Wee Willie Walker, who sadly died a few weeks ago, and Willie West.
A pleasant surprise in August was a series of shows in the tiny Laylow Club in London with Tommy McLain and C C Adcock.
In September I made my way with Dave, Lee and Alan to Nashville for Americana Fest, where the many acts included UK singer Yola, Delbert McClinton and the McCrary Sisters, the last of whom I am pleased to see are on the line up in Porretta in 2020.
After Nashville we toured through Tennessee and Kentucky, ending up at Bristol on the Tennessee/Virginia border for the Roots and Rhythm Festival, where the headliners included Marty Stuart.
October saw UK shows by two former Ikettes - P P Arnold (pictured in Newbury) and Gloria Scott.
Later that month Dave and I were back in the States for a visit to the Detroit A Go Go weekend, which featured numerous Motown acts and artists who recorded for other Detroit labels such as Ric Tic and Golden World. Pictured are Brenda Holloway, the Velvelettes and Spyder Turner. Others included the Marvelettes, the Vandellas, Miracles, Elgins, J J Barnes, Pat Lewis, Kim Weston, G G Cameron, the Contours and Jimmy Scott.
Here's to another great year in 2020. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all my readers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home