Friday, March 20, 2020

Sixty years since my first Top Ten

Image result for brenda lee photos
Time to think about happier, less pressured times, when we were young.
It's exactly sixty years since my first Top Ten. Back in the day I made a note of my ten favourite records of the day up to twice a week, between 1960 and late 1965. But the very first Top Ten was a bit of a one off and the second personal chart didn't appear until mid April, by which time I had reached the grand old age of 14.
Here's my very first personal Top Ten.
1. Sweet Nuthin's - Brenda Lee
2. String Along - Fabian
3. Beatnik Fly - Johnny and the Hurricanes
4. What In the World's Come Over You - Jack Scott
5. He'll Have To Go - Jim Reeves
6. Who Could Be Bluer - Jerry Lordan
7. Summer Set - Acker Bilk
8. California Here I Come - Freddy Cannon
9. This Love I have For you - Lance Fortune
10. Cradle of Love - Johnny Preston.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfJ-q0VFe_g
A year later, on March 21, 1961, to be precise, the top ten was as follows:
1. I Told You So - Jimmy Jones
2. Once In A While - The Chimes
3. I'm Hurtin' - Roy Orbison
4. Tear Of The year - Jackie Wilson
5. Good Time Baby - Bobby Rydell
6. Lazy River - Bobby Darin
7. Pony Time - Chubby Checker
8. Ram Bunk Shush - The Ventures
9. Muskrat Ramble - Freddy Cannon
10. Havin' Fun - Dion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmFkLanOSsY
Image result for bruce channel
Moving on to 1962, here's the top ten from March 21:
1. Hey Baby - Bruce Channel
2. Hey Little Girl - Del Shannon
3. B'wa Nina - The Tokens
4. Young World - Rick Nelson
5. Speak To Me Pretty - Brenda Lee
6. Lucky Star - Gene Vincent
7. Teen Queen Of the Week - Freddy Cannon
8. When My Little Girl Is Smiling - The Drifters
9. A Pretty Girl Is Like A Melody - The Piltdown Men
10.  Dream Baby - Roy Orbison.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik9dxkKriV0
On to 1963. Here's my top ten for March 20:
1. Sandy - Dion
2. Good Golly Miss Molly - Jerry Lee Lewis
3. You Really Got A Hold On me - The Miracles
4. In Dreams - Roy Orbison
5. Walk Like A Man - The Four Seasons
6. He's Got the power - The Exciters
7= So It Always Will Be - The Everly Brothers
7= Baby Workout - Jackie Wilson
7= The Puzzle - Gene McDaniels
10= Let's Turkey Trot - Little Eva
10= Remember Me - Johnny Burnette
10= Why Do Lovers Break Each Other's Hearts - Bob B Soxx & the Blue Jeans.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjFyCzz72xM
Image result for beach boys
Here's my top ten on March 25, 1964:
1. Fun Fun Fun - The Beach Boys
2. High Heel Sneakers - Tommy Tucker
3. Heigh Ho - Big Dee Irwin
4. Good News - Sam Cooke
5. That Girl Belongs To Yesterday - Gene Pitney
6. Hoochie Coochie Man - Dion
7. I'm On Fire - Jerry Lee Lewis
8. Nadine - Chuck Berry
9. New Orleans - Gary (US) Bonds (reissue)
10. I Wonder - The Crystals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4FOiVM4bQc
Finally, here is the chart from March 20, 1965:
1. King Of The Road - Roger Miller
2. Little Things - Bobby Goldsboro
3. Voice Your Choice - The Radiants
4. My Girl - Temptations
5. Hurt So Bad - Little Anthony and the Imperials
6. Hold What You've Got - Joe Tex
7. Yield Not To Temptation - Bobby Bland
8. Baby Baby Baby - Anna King and Bobby Byrd
9. Don't Mess Up A Good Thing - Bobby McClure and Fontella Bass
10. Do You Wanna Dance - The Beach Boys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrhAC0dFis0
My tastes changed over the years and there was a distinct absence of UK recordings after 1960. It's quite surprising, though, that my favourite singer, and top points scorer of the era, Sam Cooke, hardly gets a mention in these particular top tens. But it's just a snap shot of what was a fantastic musical time. Happier times!

1 Comments:

At 10:36 pm , Anonymous John Frederick Spencely said...


Hi Nick, A great selection. I too was a great admirer of Sam Cooke

John Spencely
the elder in isolation.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home