Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Sixties sex symbols

The death of gravel voiced Patrick Allen the other day brought to mind Laya Raki, his gorgeous co-star in Crane. She would definitely feature as one my top sex symbols of the 60s. This got me thinking about who else would make my top 20 list of female sex symbols of the decade and after careful thought I have come up with 20 glamorous women from that era. I am sure I've missed some, but here goes (not in any particular order) :
1. The aforesaid Laya Raki (Crane), 2. Jayne Mansfield, 3. Mamie Van Doren, 4. Marilyn Monroe (three blonde bombshells), 5. Brigitte Bardot, 6. Catherine Deneuve (French sex kittens), 7. Marianne Faithfull (chiefly for her leather outfit in Girl on a Motorcycle), 8. Diana Rigg (fantastic outfits in The Avengers), 9. Raquel Welch ( who can forget One Million Years BC), 10. Monica Vitti, 11. Gina Lollobrigida (Italian sex goddesses), 12 Anita Ekberg (steamy Swedish star of La Dolce Vita), 13. Pamela Green (top nude model of the era), 14, Ursula Andress (emerging from the sea in Dr No), 15. Anita Pallenberg (as the Black Queen in Barbarella - Jane Fonda wasn't bad either), 16. Mary Wells (most glamorous of the Motown stars), 17. Ronnie Spector (and all of the Ronettes in their tight slit skirts), 18. Mandy Rice-Davies (I would say that wouldn't I?), 19. Julie Newmar (Catwoman in the Batman TV series), 20. Nichelle Nichols (Uhura in Star Trek).
Alternative top 20s, or additions, welcome.

4 Comments:

At 12:32 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

13. Pamela Green (top nude model of the era),
Who also illustrates the CD review section in UK Rock Magazine. With permission! If you would like to meet Pamela, I have her manager's contact details.
Erm, you might not, btw
JH

 
At 3:51 pm , Blogger Nick said...

Thanks John but I think I'll pass. Incidentally is it true that she doesn't have a vagina?

 
At 3:16 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sex symbol Laya Raki; a great dancer, admired actress and singer, captured men's attention like no other showgirls in the Germany of the 1950's - because of her singular erotic radiation, her perfect figure (38 - 23 - 36) and the expressive face rich in nuances.
Laya Raki unforgettable forever - in Germany, in England and (I hope) in America, too.
P.S.: If somebody knows her adress in L.A. or email let me know it.
Thanks in advance!

 
At 7:52 pm , Anonymous iNetVideo said...

I like your list even though it's a bit different than mine. Check out my TOP TEN list of sixties babes at http://blog.inetvideo.com/2011/06/13/sex-symbol-of-the-sixties/

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home