Thursday, November 01, 2012

Terry Callier

Jazz/soul singer and guitarist Terry Callier has died aged 67. Terry became best known in the late 80s when he was rediscovered by British DJs and became a favourite of the acid jazz scene, touring the UK on several occasions.
Born in Chicago and a childhood friend of Curtis Mayfield, Major Lance and Jerry Butler, Terry recorded for Chess in 1962 and later made a folk styled album for Prestige. In the 1970s he recorded three albums for Cadet - Occasional Rain, What Color Is Love and I Just Can't Help Myself - and two for Elektra - Fire On Ice and Turn You To Love. He gave up performing in the 1980s but made a comeback when Acid Jazz record head Eddie Piller reissued a 1983 track I Don't Want to See Myself (Without You). This led to a string of new albums including Timepeace in 1998 and five others, including collaborations with Paul Weller and Massive Attack.
I have to be honest and say that despite my best efforts I never did find Callier to be my cup of tea - too jazzy for my taste -  but I know many soul friends liked him a lot. It's sad to see him go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home