Top tunes of 1964
More record lists, this time from 1964. I put together a top ten for the January to June period in October, 1964, and a top ten for July to December in January, 1965. Lots of great records, including some soul classics, which obviously made a big impact on me at the time, and still do today.
Here's the January to June, 1964, list:
1. Evenin' - Jimmy Witherspoon.
2. Do Wah Diddy - The Exciters.
3. Um Um Um Um Um Um -Major Lance.
4. Shoop Shoop Song - Betty Everett.
5. Talkin' About My Baby - The Impressions.
6. Good News - Sam Cooke.
7. Can I Get A Witness - Marvin Gaye.
8. Dead Man's Curve - Jan and Dean.
9. I'm A Lover Not A Fighter - Lazy Lester.
10= When You Walk In The Room - Jackie De Shannon.
10= Sha La La - The Shirelles.
And the July to December top ten (in fact 11 again):
1. Baby I Need Your Loving - Four Tops.
2. Needle In A Haystack - The Velvelettes.
3. Good Times - Sam Cooke.
4. Rhythm - Major Lance.
5. Night Train - James Brown.
6. Dance Dance Dance - The Beach Boys.
7. Ain't Nothing You Can Do - Bobby Bland.
8. Mockingbird - Charlie and Inez Foxx.
9. G.T.O. - Ronnie and the Daytonas.
10= Under The Boardwalk - The Drifters.
10= You Must Believe Me - The Impressions.
Here's Lazy Lester, still going strong, at the Thomas Guy Club in London in 2012.