Monday, September 05, 2016

20 Top tunes of 1960

1960 was the first year that I kept a personal top ten, something I continued until the end of 1965. In early 1961 I drew up a list of my favourite top 20 records of  the year, as I did in several subsequent years. The list reflects my 14 year old self's preferences and some of the choices possibly don't stand up today. But my choices include quite a few prototype 'soul' records by the likes of Sam Cooke, Marv Johnson and Jimmy Jones, so maybe my tastes haven't changed that much in the intervening years. The only way I could get to hear music in 1960 was via Radio Luxembourg so many excellent records will not have received much, if any, airtime, but here, for anyone who's interested, is my 1960 top 20 list.
1. Wonderful World - Sam Cooke.
2. I Love The Way You Love - Marv Johnson.
3. It Ain't Gonna Be That Way - Marv Johnson.
4. Colette - Billy Fury.
5. Only The Lonely - Roy Orbison.
6 .(You'e Got To) Move Two Mountains - Marv Johnson.
7. Handy Man - Jimmy Jones.
8. You Got What It Takes - Marv Johnson.
9. McDonald's Cave - Piltdown Men.
10. Alley Oop - Hollywood Argylls.
11. Wondrous Place - Billy Fury.
12. I Just Go For You - Jimmy Jones.
13. Good Timin' - Jimmy Jones.
14. Devil Or Angel - Bobby Vee.
15. Sweet Nuthin's - Brenda Lee.
16. What In The World's Come Over You - Jack Scott.
17. That's Love - Billy Fury.
18. Beatnik Fly - Johnny and the Hurricanes.
19. Learning The Game - Buddy Holly.
20. Mess of Blues - Elvis Presley.
Here is Jack Scott, still as good as ever, at Rhythm Riot in 2015.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home