Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Top tunes of 1961

Continuing the series of top tunes, here is the missing year from the ones I've done so far, namely 1961. For that year I selected top tens for January to June and for July to December in January 1962, so they were still very fresh in the memory. Would I make the same choices now? Probably not in many cases, but there are some great records in the two lists all the same.
Here's my top ten for the first half of the year:
1. Once In A While - The Chimes.
2. Little Boy Sad - Johnny Burnette.
3. Baby I Don't Care - Buddy Holly.
4. Running Scared - Roy Orbison.
5. What'd I Say - Jerry Lee Lewis.
6. You're Sixteen - Johnny Burnette.
7. Shop Around - The Miracles.
8. Sad Mood - Sam Cooke.
9. More Than I Can Say - Bobby Vee.
10. I Told You So - Jimmy Jones.

And here's my top ten for July to December, 1961:
1. Cryin' - Roy Orbison.
2. Take Good Care Of My Baby - Bobby Vee.
3. So Long Baby - Del Shannon.
4. I Like It Like That - Chris Kenner.
5. His Latest Flame - Elvis Presley.
6. Girls - Johnny Burnette.
7. Without You - Johnny Tillotson.
8. Under The Moon Of Love - Curtis Lee.
9. Hats Off To Larry - Del Shannon.
10. Sea Of Heartbreak - Don Gibson.

Here's a photo of Jerry Lee at the farewell London Palladium show last year.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home