Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Barbara George RIP

Barbara George, who died last week, recorded I Know - one of the all time classic New Orleans R and B records. She had a powerful if untrained voice and some wonderful musicians backing her at the short lived AFO (All For One) label, and later for Sue, yet never capitalised on her initial hit. She faded from the New Orleans music scene but I saw Barbara perform in New Orleans a couple of times in the early 90s - on a riverboat along with other now deceased R and B legends such as Jessie Hill and Ernie K-Doe, and at a club in the French Quarter, but never at Jazzfest. I Know still sounds great today and it's sad that yet another classic New Orleans singer has passed on. There's an obit in today's Independent http://news.independent.co.uk/people/obituaries/article1220842.ece
Articles I've read about Barbara suggest that her last recordings were made for the Seven B label in the late 70s/early 80s. But when I saw her perform at the Toulouse Club in New Orleans in 1991 she was promoting a new record called Bad Luck and Trouble that was only available on tape. I bought a copy, which she signed. It was dated 1990 and produced by Milton Battiste and credited to Barbara and Sunpie (presumably Bruce Sunpie Barnes), Tracks are Bad Luck and Trouble, Whip a Reaux, Something You Got, I Know, Mr Bo Jangles, He Bring Out The best In Me, Everyday I Have The Blues and I Believe My Baby's Cheating On me.

1 Comments:

At 2:41 am , Blogger Red Kelly said...

Nick - I got your comment over on 'the B'... I had no idea about the tape... That's awesome! I'd love to check it out!

A truly remarkable woman. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home