Monday, October 23, 2006

Beatles make their mark

The personal top tens that I wrote down so assiduously from 1960 to 1965 featured mainly US records, but the Beatles made it into the list on one occasion - Love me do made it to number 10 on October 25, 1962. It was the only time a British beat group managed an entry. Here are my top tens from around this date:
Oct 24, 1960: 1= Devil or angel - Bobby Vee, and It's now or never - Elvis; 3. Save the last dance for me - Drifters; 4. You've got to move two mountains - Marv Johnson; 5. I just go for you - Jimmy Jones; 6. Learning the game - Buddy Holly; 7. Humdinger - Freddy Cannon; 8. Blue angel - Roy Orbison; 9. My heart has a mind of its own - Connie Francis; 10. Sweeter as the day goes by - Mickey and Sylvia.
Oct 22, 1961: 1. Take good care of my baby - Bobby Vee; 2. His latest flame - Elvis; 3. Feel it - Same Cooke; 4. One track mind - Bobby Lewis; 5= Runaround Sue - Dion, and This time - Troy Shondell; 7. Take five - Dave Brubeck; 8. You must have been a beautiful baby - Bobby Darin; 9. Little sister - Elvis; 10. Ever loving - Ricky Nelson.
Oct 25, 1962: 1= Working for the man - Roy Orbison, and He's a rebel - Crystals; 3. Nothing can change this love - Sam Cooke; 4. Warmed over kisses - Brian Hyland; 5. Let's dance - Chris Montez; 6. No one can make mu sunshine smile - Everly Brothers; 7. He got what he wanted - Little Richard; 8. The cha cha cha - Bobby Rydell; 9. Limbo rock - Chubby Checker; 10= Hully gully baby - Dovells, Minnesota Fats - Johnny & the Hurricanes, and Love me do - The Beatles.
Oct 23, 1963: 1. Be my baby - Ronettes; 2. Let it rock - Chuck Berry; 3. The girl sang the blues - Everly Brothers; 4. Honolulu Lulu - Jan & Dean; 5. Deep purple - Nino Tempo & April Stevens; 6. Donna the prima donna - Dion; 7= I'll take you home - Drifters, Will power - Cookies, The trouble with boys - Little Eva, Wild - Dee Dee Sharpe, Don't think twice it's alright - Peter Paul & Mary, and A love so fine - Chiffons.
Oct 24, 1964: 1. When I grow up - Beach Boys; 2. That's where it's at - Sam Cooke; 3. Baby I need your loving - Four Tops; 4. Ain't that loving you baby - Elvis; 5. You must believe me - Impressions; 6. GTO - Ronny & the Daytonas; 7= He's in town - Tokens, and Dancing in the street - Martha & the Vandellas; 9. Do I love you - Ronettes; 10. Rhythm - Major Lance.
Oct 23, 1965: 1. Treat her right - Roy head; 2. Sugar dumplings - Sam Cooke; 3. It's too late baby - Arthur Prysock; 4. No pity in the naked city - Jackie Wilson; 5. 1-2-3 - Len Barry; 6. Go now - Bessie Banks; 7. Cry no more - Ben E King; 8. In the midnight hour - Wilson Pickett; 9. I want to - Joe Tex; 10. We didn't ask to be brought here - Bobby Darin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home